Resources, Policy & Strategy Committee
Minutes of the Myland Community Council Resources, Policy & Strategy Committee held online on Wednesday 23rdSeptember 2020, 7.30pm
Present: Cllr Alison Jay (Chair)
Cllr David Clouston
Cllr Pete Hewitt
Cllr Pauline Bacon
Cllr Alan Hayman
No apologies were received.
17-20/21 Declarations of Interest
There were no Declarations of Interest.
18-20/21 Have Your Say – Members of the public can comment on any item on the agenda
There were no comments.
19-20/21 Minutes of the meeting held on 17th June 2020 to be approved as a true record (to be signed by the Chairman at a later date)
The minutes of the meeting held on 17th June 2020 were approved as a true record for signature by the Chairman at a later date.
20-20/21 To receive the report from the Responsible Financial Officer.
- Action taken since last meeting
The ROF had circulated the following report:
- “The Annual Return was sent to the external auditors prior to the extended deadline and has been acknowledged. The Notice for Exercise of Public Rights was added to the website in accordance with the law as amended this year.
- Debit Card – the Council cannot have a debit card on the existing account as there is a complex mandate. An option is a pre-paid card which some councils have adopted. This would be issued to the RFO only, with expenditure and top-ups agreed through normal procedure.
- Signatories – Two names have been removed as signatories. We are in the process of adding Cllr de Smith.
- Laptop – we are looking at purchasing a laptop for Clerk/RFO to work from home.
- Valuation – the bungalow has been valued at £325,000 for selling purposes (insurance valuation still to be arranged).
- We have asked a contractor to give an indication of the work required and a ballpark cost for bringing the bungalow up to the standard needed to hold community functions (as at Monday 21st September still awaited).”
Cllr Jay said she had looked at pre-paid debit cards which all carried additional charges. She said smaller expenses were paid through the normal procedures and for larger expenses the RFO would seek a pro forma invoice if this was available. She said if a pro forma invoice could not be supplied then it would be best to seek an alternative supplier.
She said direct debit was not an option for payment for Zoom or for Payroll Manager, which was the current software used by the Clerk. She said the latter would be replaced by HMRC’s free software.
She referred to the quote awaited from the contractor and said this figure would be brought to the next meeting for the committee’s views.
- Bank account balances as at 31st August 2020
Community Account: £143,196.43
Tracker Account: £94,181.42
Community Centres Account: £72,883.33
- Performance against budget as at 31.8.2020
These figures had been circulated prior to the meeting.
21-20/21 To review the Council’s 2020/21 Action Plan
The Council’s 2020/21 Action Plan was reviewed.
22-20/21 To review the Council’s insurance cover and agree any action necessary
The Council’s insurance cover was reviewed.
It was agreed that the current policy would be renewed for one year with a diary note to review in July 2021 and to seek alternative quotations.
23-20/21 To review and agree the following policy documents:
- MCC Risk Assessment
- Office Risk Assessment
- Covid-19 Risk Assessment – Office Re-opening
The above documents were reviewed.
Cllr Jay said cash-handling procedures with regard to the Fete would be put in place following discussion with councillors and the RFO.
It was agreed that at the next review of the MCC Risk Assessment specific mention of GDPR would be added.
It was noted that these documents would be on the full Council agenda for agreement at the September meeting.
24-20/21 To agree the time, date and place of the next meeting of the Committee
It was agreed that the next meeting would be held online on Wednesday 21st October 2020.
25-20/21 EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
To agree to exclude the Press and Public under s.1 (2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings Act) 1960 because of the likelihood that confidential personnel information relating to one or more particular employees could be disclosed
It was agreed unanimously to exclude the Press and Public under s.1 (2) of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings Act) 1960 because of the likelihood that confidential personnel information relating to one or more particular employees could be disclosed
26-20/21 To discuss personnel issues and agree any action necessary
Cllr Clouston said he would provide a paper for the committee on the options for additional provision by the Council on street services.
It was agreed to make an ex gratia payment of £200.00 to the Editor of the Mylander.
It was noted that further discussion of the purpose of the Mylander and the consequent role of the Editor was advisable.
Councillor Alison Jay ……………………………………………………….. Chairman
|List of abbreviations||Cllr – Councillor||NGUAE – North Growth Urban Area Extension|
|CBC – Colchester Borough Council||NP – Neighbourhood Plan|
|CIL – Community Infrastructure Levy||NEPP – North Essex Parking Partnership|